Finding A Donor
Human Leukocyte Antigen, also commonly referred to as HLA typing. HLA typing us the process used to determine how close a individuals tissue matches another Human leukocyte antigens are protein molecules. These molecules are inherited from your parents. Combined, your HLA molecules determines your HLA type. This process must occur first before proceeding to transplant.
HLA typing is significant because the compatibility between a donor and recipient strongly influences the success or failure of a transplant. Our bodies will only accept stem cells that closely matches the patients.
The best chance at finding a perfect match is within the patients sibling population (no half siblings). The likelihood of being a perfect match with a sibling is 25% (1 out of 4). There is also a 25% chance that you inherit none of your siblings molecules. While the likelihood of inheriting half of the same HLA as a sibling is 50%.